Monday, June 11, 2007

Reality is becoming real...

I am sitting in an Internet cafe in Queenstown, while Erik, Keith, Tom, Ryan, Taylor and aunt Lynn are doing crazy adrenaline things. I just realized that this is going to be the last night that I spend in this funny city. It is very possible that I never see Shotover street again, or that I never sleep a night in an alpine hut in the Southern Alps.

The reality is that I leave in eight days. This stage of my life is over, and that I may never see Mt. Cook in person again. I could tell myself that I will be back, and ignore the realities that lay before me. I may not come back to New Zealand. I do plan on traveling again, I do plan on living in another country again, and I do plan on taking the new found passion for traveling to many places. But, there are so many places I have learned about while being here that I would love to go to.

I have found myself saying goodbye to many of the places that I have grown accustomed to the past five months. Walking down from the Mueller hut I was quietly saying goodbye to the Mount Cook Range, while reminiscing on the experiences I have had in their Shadow. In the same way I have been wandering around Queenstown, looking at the crazy tourists trying to do as many things that are possible during their four day stay in the "adventure sports capitol of the world," and thinking about the first time we experienced the bustling city on the shores of Lake Waikatipu.

Saying goodbye, and facing the realities that come with it are both terrifying and exciting. I am very sad that this time in my life is nearly over, but I am excited to see how my life is affected because of my time in New Zealand. New experiences await me, and that brings me great joy.

I will see many of you who read this blog very soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this will probably be a really tough time for you. When Joe Murray came back he was having major adventure withdrawl. It sounds to me like you've really made the most of your journey though, which is very admirable. America misses you. I can't wait to see you.

Bryce Perica said...

Adventure withdrawal is a good way to put it. Don't let the adventure die over the Pacific. See you soon, Brother.