Friday, September 14, 2007

Moral Sentiments...

I have been reading a lot of Adam Smith lately. Some, if not most probably don't know who he is, so I will tell you. Adam Smith is regarded as the grandfather of modern economics. He published two main works; the first titled The Theory of Moral Sentiments, which discusses the moral forces that restrain selfishness and bind people together in a workable society. The second, is titled Wealth of Nations, which assumed the existence of a just society and showed how the individual is guided by economic forces. I didn't think I would get much out of a classical economist's writing, but good ol' Adam Smith has proved me wrong. I may post a couple of random quotes from Adam Smith from time to time, and I just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. So here you go:

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition, though necessary both to establish and to maintain distinction of ranks and the order of society, is, at the same time, the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments..."

~ Adam Smith
Theory of Moral Sentiments

3 comments:

Bryce Perica said...

That's 11 commas. That's a lot of commas.

Erik Haagenson said...

I wish, well kind of, that, in fact, people, or at least some people, could still write, or at least imagine sentences, with, or including, so many commas, because I love them so, without any periods, because they are the lesser punctuation, and thereby, perhaps therefore, create such incredibly long, and lengthy, sentences.

Bryce Perica said...

That was, if I do say so myself, quite brilliant.