Monday, February 19, 2007

People are dying in the quad...

When I first entered college I remember being terrified. I had no idea what was going on, who I needed to talk to, or where I was supposed to be. I would imagine that many people have felt or will feel the same way during the first couple weeks of their freshmen year. But, after about a month of college I think most people figure out that everything will be okay, the deadlines aren't really deadlines at all. You won't die in agony if you don't figure out your classes by registration day. Well, the feeling has returned for a vast majority of the international students here at the University of Canterbury. There are students who are juniors and seniors freaking out because they, once again, have no idea what to do. To be honest, Erik and I both have taken delight in watching these individuals scream in agony about not having proper insurance. The enrolment process here in New Zealand is quite ridiculous, but I am pretty sure that everyone will be taking classes and going to school come Monday. This whole experience just brings to light how people react when they have to solve problems using a different method, I hope that I haven't lost my ability to problem solve...
On a lighter note, Erik, Jaques, Pinecone, and I went to an amazing place called Castle Hill. It is about an hour away, and it is a rock climber's heaven. To help you paint a mental picture, the battle in Chronicles of Narnia was filmed there. Basically it is a slew of rolling grassy hills covered with massive boulders, at the base of the Southern Alps. I kept thinking I was wandering around some Disney world fantasy place. Sadly, I am unable to post pictures of it, because I am typing this blog while sitting in a random office on campus...I heard they had free Internet, but I will post pictures soon. Well, I hope that who read this are doing wonderful, and I will talk to you soon!

5 comments:

Rachel L. said...

WOW. I bet the scenery is amazing. Miss you friend. I check your blog daily. Can't wait for your stories. :)

Unknown said...

Do it for Azlan!

mrosson said...

can't wait to see pics chris. i'm glad you're having fun! tell erik i say hi! miss yoU!

Dad said...

It's always an enlightening experience to see how many different solutions there are to the same problem. Turn your stumbling blocks into stepping stones!

Anonymous said...

Good post.